Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Being a Better Writer

I believe that I can learn to write well through experience. I feel that if I just write my writing will improve over time, as long as I have someone to tell me what works and what doesn’t. I personally learn best by doing, and so for me to really learn how to write well I just need to write. Also reading a well written book, paper, or article helps me because I can use it as a guideline for my writing. Being able to see what a written paper is and then taking what I see and applying it to my writing really helps.
What I find really helpful becoming a better writer is the comments that teachers give back. This feed back is helpful because I not only have another person telling me what works, the person knows more about writing than I do. I have found meeting with my teacher about my writing is usually very informative and this lets me understand what I am doing wrong. In this respect the teacher acts like a coach, but instead of sports, he or she is coaching me in writing.
I also find it helpful to read articles and other people’s essays so I can see different writing styles that might benefit me but I would never try otherwise. Also reading books has helped me in my writing because it exposes me to a variety of writing styles and reading also helps me find out what makes a good and a bad sentence. Seeing different types of writing I find is a very good way to further my writing skills.

No comments: